Facts & Figures:
- Egypt’s population in 2018 is 99.4 million, the highest population in the MENA region. The number of smartphone users reaches almost 28 million in 2019.
- There are four mobile network operators: Vodafone, Orange, Etisalat and WE. Each operator has its own guidelines and regulations on VAS.
- The telecom industry is regulated by the National Telecom Regulatory Authority (NTRA).
Flows & Rules:
- In order to host a VAS service in Egypt, it requires specific legal documentation. Through partnership with local contacts, Empello can arrange for assistance, and allow you to focus on your launch.
- Most VAS landing pages are hosted by the aggregators with some exceptions for compliant merchants who can host their own landing pages. Merchants need to follow specific guidelines in order to host their VAS products in Egypt.
- Major aggregators operating in Egypt are: TPAY and Mondia Media.
- The subscription flow is mainly an OTP flow on all operators with the exception of few merchants having a privileged Header Enriched 2 clicks flow, as at May 2019.