Facts & Figures:
- The population of South Africa is nearly reaching 58 million, where 63.0 % of the population is urban.
- The total of mobile connections in the country reached 99.1 million (according to GSMA data) whilst smartphone penetration in the last quarter of 2018 was at 81.71%
- According to the latest General Household Survey 88.2% South African households use mobile phones exclusively.
- GSMA intelligence report names South Africa the wealthiest and most technologically advanced country in Sub-Saharan region, where MTN in collaboration with Ericsson is undertaking first in the region 5G trials.
- Three biggest operators are: Vodacom (43.79% market share), MTN (31.79%m.s.) and CellC (17.16%m.s.).
Flows & Rules:
- Regulator – WASPA, merchants requested to follow WASPA’s Code of Conduct.
- The payment pages are hosted by the operator.
- DCB market, USSD, CTB 1/2-click flows available in this market.